The Official 2/26 Battalion Website

In affiliation with the 2/26 Battalion Family & Friends Association Inc.

"This website came to fruition in an attempt to tell the true story the 2/26th Infantry Battalion, (the only Infantry Battalion raised in Queensland; part of the 27th Brigade, 8th Division) played during the Malay Campaign of World War II.... "The 8th Division constituted 14% of the British force but it took 73% of the battle deaths."

Edward William Dangerfield

12 December 1916– 13 November 1971


QX16608 – Pte – Dangerfield E.W. who began his life in Toowoomba, where he was known to all and sundry as Ted Dangerfield, spent his school years at Dulacca Primary School, after which he obtained a position as a grader driver working for the Main Roads Department around the Quilpie and Boulia areas of South East Queensland.

He continued in this employment until his enlistment in the A.I.F. on 22 January 1941 at Toowoomba, Queensland,, becoming a reinforcement attached to 4 Platoon of Head Quarters Company of the 2/26 Battalion.

After training at Redbank, Queensland and Bathurst, New South Wales, Ted, now known as “Tarzan” by his Army mates, departed for overseas from Melbourne, aboard the Marnix Van S Aldergond on 30 July 1941.

Like others taken P.O.W. at Capitulation, Ted was firstly reported missing, then reported as P.O.W. As P.O.W. he worked on various work parties around Singapore, until he left as part of “A” Force on 14th May 1942 en route to Burma, where he worked mostly on the Mergui end of the Railway.

After the Japanese surrender, he left Singapore on 24 September 1945, aboard the Highland Chieftain, arriving in Brisbane on 9 October 1945. A period of recuperation followed, with Ted being discharged on 21 November 1945.

Ted returned to the west and began work as a labourer at Miles, where in February 1946, he entered into Holy Matrimony, with 3 daughters and 1 son being born of this union.

Four years later the family moved to Columboola, near Miles, to take up share farming on their Dairy Farm. The family was very happy here, but, a move back to Miles was made in 1959 to facilitate the children’s Secondary Schooling.

He was a staunch supporter of the Miles R.S.L., always attending the local Anzac Day Parades. He was also a lover of all sports, especially Rugby League and Golf.

He returned to working for the Main Roads around Taroom, and later became a Foreman at Murilla Shire Council, a position he held until his death, which occurred during a game of golf.